Hilton Head Heroes Family Application
Our mission is to bring children between the ages of two and eighteen years old who have been diagnosed with a serious illness and their families to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina for a resort vacation. In order to qualify for a Hilton Head Heroes vacation:
- The child must be between the ages of 2 and 18 years old.
- A physician must have diagnosed the child with a serious illness creating the possibility that the child’s quality of life will be restricted or shortened.
- It must also be determined that the family’s financial capabilities would make a vacation impossible.
If you know of a child or family who would benefit from the Hilton Head Heroes program, please contact us at 843-422-6343 or fill out our contact form.
General Guidelines for a Hilton Head Hero Vacation
The Hero child must be:
- 2-18 years of age.
- Diagnosed with an illness that will shorten their life span.
- (If a cancer patient in remission) Have been in active treatment sometime over the past 12 months.
First priority consideration:
- Current cancer patients in treatment.
- Patients diagnosed with a life threatening illness.
- Heart, lung and liver transplant patients who have undergone a transplant in the past 12 months.
- Patients with congenital birth defects and chronic illnesses such as Cystic Fibrosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Down’s Syndrome and Sickle Cell Anemia are not currently considered for our program. However, some life- threatening genetic disease patients will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
All Hero applicants must have:
- Doctor approval for patient travel (using the provided signed and witnessed Medical Approval Form).
- Parent(s) or legal guardian must have legal custody of the patient and other children on the Hero vacation, as well as the right to travel out of their state of residence.
Allowed traveling companions of the Hero child:
- Parents (a married couple) or legal guardians of the child.
- A single parent can request one other adult to accompany the family. An adult child (18 or older) family member will be considered as the additional adult.
- Only immediate family members are allowed on the vacation. Children not living in the household (and/or their children) are not allowed on the vacation.
- No other adults (Grandparents, cousins, aunts or uncles, etc.) will be allowed on the vacation unless they are the approved adult traveling with a single parent.
Hero Vacation Guidelines:
- No pets of any kind. No firearms, motorcycles or RVs allowed.
- No smoking in the House or on the House property.
The Hero family will be responsible for providing their own transportation to and from the vacation. All applicants must be United States citizens or have legal residence status in the United States.